Friends and family have made and enjoyed my Granola recipe for years. Hope you do too!...Gerry
Pour on the Vanilla Soy Milk, Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, or Moo Juice for a healthy breakfast treat.
(I put my granola over a half cup of thawed frozen wild blueberries and sprinkle on some dried cranberries or better yet, orange flavored dried cranberries).
An added plus, this granola makes you less gassy (is that politically correct?) than commercial granolas or commercial cereals. Commercial cereals process their grains with air, (it's a cheap
way to fill the cereal box) and that air's got to go somewhere!
Prep Time approx. 10 minutes. Cooking time 35-45 minutes.
I like mine toasted golden brown so 45 minutes.
12 cups rolled oats old fashioned not 1 or 5 minute (buy bulk if possible, organic if possible.)
Quaker and other oats in the round cardboard containers
can be broken and dusty, but they are OK if you don't have access to bulk.
1 1/2 cups sliced raw almonds
1 1/2 cups raw sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup flax seed (optional)
1 cup raw cashew pieces or raw mixed nuts - no peanuts - (optional)
1 cup canola oil
3 cups honey
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (the real deal, no fakey stuff)
4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons ground Tumeric. ( optional ) Dr. Oz's proven memory enhancer.
1.Place 2 oven racks in the center of the oven.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees f.
(275 f. degrees in a convection oven)
2. In a large bowl stir all dry ingredients together (Except cranberries, put them aside.)
3. In a small pan place all wet ingredients. Warm over a medium/low heat and stir until honey thins and mixes with oil, add cinnamon and vanilla and stir till dissolved.
4. Cover two large lipped baking sheets with parchment paper.
Kind of fold parchment at the corners to fit into pan.
5. Pour warm liquid ingredients into mixed dry ingredients and toss gently until dry ingredients are well covered with honey mixture.
6. Spread 1/2 the granola mixture onto each of the two parchment
covered baking pans.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, carefully remove from oven and using a spatula stir and turn granola on each baking sheet.
8. Return to oven switching top and bottom baking pans for one
another. After ten minutes, remove pans and stir granola again. Return to oven switching positions. Repeat until granola has reached
the golden to medium brown you desire.
9. Remove pans and stir and turn granola for the last time.
Place pans back in oven and turn off the oven. Let granola cool in the oven with the oven off.
10. When completely cool, remove granola from